Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Always the Birth of a Hero,Never the Death!


Something just recently came to me, even though it has always been in my face this whole time. Why is it in every Legend of Zelda game, we witness the birth of a hero, as he overcomes a new threat to the land of Hyrule, but never his end? According to the actual Zelda timeline that was confirmed by Nintendo, we now know what games are in order, what happens between each story, and every parallel universe within the lore.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one Zelda game that ends on a note that gives a little more closure than others, which is Ocarina of Time. That is, only if you go by the timeline of Link staying as a child. There are two more timelines that coexist and split off after Ocarina of time, those being if Link fails, if he returns to the past being a Child, or if he stays an adult. Like for instance, what happens to Link when he stays an adult? What is his life like until he inevitably dies? I’d like to believe that there is only one Master Sword throughout all of the games, and only one hylian shield. Why don’t we ever get to see an ending where Link actually dies, not violently, but even from old age? What about an adult Link that is in his late 20?s or 30?s?

I would love to see a Legend of Zelda game where Link hangs up his sword and shield, or puts them away to be opened again for the next generation. I’d like to see the fall of a hero, and it doesn’t have to even be in a negative light.

I’m still playing through Skyward Sword and enjoying my time with it. I still am looking forward to the birth of the lore behind the series.

How many times have we pulled the Master Sword from the stone? We’ve seen it get placed back in a few games, if not most of them, Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past come in mind here, but what I’d be interested to see is a story about Link’s fall, even if it’s old age or something tragic. I do see a bad thing about all of this if they did such a thing, they would probably make sequels to specific games and I’m not sure how fond I’d be of that. We don’t need the same thing in Final Fantasy to happen to Legend of Zelda. We don’t ever need a “The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening 2: Link Awakens Again”.

Maybe I’m rambling, but I’m hoping that there is someone out there that can understand where I’m coming from. I’d like to see a not so much of a happy ending to a Zelda game, but something that ties to the fall of Link rather than everything being great and going back to normal.

Perhaps if they didn’t release this official timeline, I wouldn’t be pondering such things. I liked it better when it was all up to the interpretation of the players. I liked it better thinking that every game was it’s own game and none of them tied together.

Life used to be so easy!

Twitter: 

N4G Article (Please Approve if it is not):