Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Look back at Super Mario World



It’s been a long time since I’ve really tried to play Super Mario World from a dedicated perspective. Considering that the game is now available on Wii U Virtual Console, it gives me time to chill out and play some classics on my game pad without having to leave my bed, pretty cool.

Super Mario Bros 3 will always be my absolute favorite, but this is about Super Mario World, arguably the best in the series. I did a 100% completion of Super Mario World when I was around 12-13 years old, so it’s been a while since I’ve gotten into it, and what the hell…this game makes the new Mario Wii games look like baby games.

Super Mario Bros. Wii (1 and 2) and Wii U are such easy games in comparison with Super Mario World. I must have lost 15 lives in 10 minutes just trying to get to one little spot for a 1UP before I realized I’m not really gaining anything and I should just skip it. There are levels where Bullet Bills are just flying at you from every direction. The controls feel a little more slippery when running. There are hidden levels that you have to unlock by finding keys that are in no way just super easy to find.

What does Super Mario Bros. Wii have? 3 coins for each level. Collect them all! You win!

This isn’t to say that the new Mario games aren’t fun, because they are, and they’re especially fun when you’re playing with 3 other people and it turns into a crazy battle royale for coins and everyone struggles to not fall down into pits because you all bounce off eachother. But in the Wii games, when it comes to difficulty, everything is tuned down to disappointing levels. I mean hell, the A button is a suicide button unless you’re playing with a friend, and I specifically remember playing with someone who wasn’t confident in a jump that would just let me cross it and they would turn into a bubble and float over to me. Easy mode.

We need more classic style Mario games that play like Super Mario World, where I feel like there is a real challenge at the heart of the game, rather than just better graphics, weird powerups that don’t feel entirely needed, and silly sound effects. Maybe there is some hope in the future.

Twitter: